Sir James posted this on his list. It’s great. As always.
I found this great interview with amazing flutist Robert Dick. Be sure to check out the mp3 audio at the end of the page.
This is a great article telling a little of how Nagahara flutes are made using CNC technology.
“The greatest flute players in the world strive for a uniquely personal sound to the way they play their instruments and interpret each piece of music. For this reason, these professionals often choose hand-made instruments that enhance these artistic efforts. Nagahara Flutes is a company that caters to the needs of top-ranking flute players. Its customers include Sir James Galway, Ian Anderson (singer and flute player of Jethro Tull fame) and many leading performers in orchestras worldwide. The individually crafted instruments are produced in silver, gold or platinum.”
Did you know Google has scanned and put public domain books on the web? Did you know that Theobald Böhm’s An Essay on the Construction of Flutes is available here? Check it out.
Sadly, you can’t embed this video. So, here is the link. Everyone should get a kick out of it.
I did not know that former Fox News person, and former White House spokesperson was a flute play. You go Tony!
There was a National Flute Association Convention (so I hear). A couple of people on the Flute list cross posted on the Galway List. Here are some interesting ones.
- NFA Convention 2007 Workshop: How to Practice with Immanual Davis
- NFA Convention Panel Discussion: Louis Lot, the Stradivarius of the Flute
- Lecture Presentation: Why good often beats best……with Robert Bigio
- NFA Convention: Old Wine in New Bottles and How to get Good Fast with Trevor Wye
- NFA Convention: The Memory Map
- NFA Convention Master Class with Jed Wentz
- NFA CONVENTION 2007: Sound and Phrasing with Peter Lloyd (I’ve seen a Peter Lloyd masterclass, and it was mind blowing)
- Pre-convention Master Class with Trevor Wye – Part 1
- Pre-convention class with Trevor Wye – addendum to PART 1
- Pre-convention Master Class with Trevor Wye – Part 2
- Pre-convention Master Class with Trevor Wye: PART 3
- Pre-convention master class with Trevor Wye – PART 4
- Master Class with Trevor Wye – Part 2//My thoughts on Trevor’s (Sir James Galways thoughts)
I haven’t seen the actual Trevor Wye class notes posted yet. Hopefully soon.
Did you know that this book is available, to read, for free via Google? It is only PART of the book. About half, but still. Is that cool or what?